Sunday, October 16, 2005

Preparing to Purge

My stomach really has been bothering me lately. Now, I don't know if I've developed an allergy/sensitivity to soy, but something is definitely not right. I'm hoping that it's nothing that a little cleanse can't fix. (I don't think I could handle a soy allergy with me phasing what little meat I eat out of my diet. A girl can't live on lentils and fish alone!)

So with that in mind, tomorrow marks the first day of my Fall cleanse (based on the one in the October/November issue of BUST.) Lots of whole grains (which I get anyway), lean proteins (again, which I eat anyway. Predominantly plant proteins, I mean), and organic, seasonal fruits and veggies (I eat a lot of fruit to begin with, though I don't always choose what's in season. While I can at least restrict myself to seasonal veggies, I can't foot the bill for an all-organic crisper.)

I don't think the change will be too hard, since I eat well to start. The foreseeable challenge: cutting out coffee and refined sugars! Honestly, it's not hyperbolic in any sense when I say that I am a coffee addict. And I have a permanent sweet tooth. Hopefully the nettle tea and the variety of apples and pears that I bought will get me through.

I think I'm going to make squash for dinner tomorrow. While I've got ideas for that dish, I haven't a clue what to do with the beets I bought. This is the first time I've bought beets.

Anyone know a tasty, healthy way of cooking beets?

No comments: