Sunday, July 27, 2003

Last night I dreamt of refugees.

It seems fitting that since--though they're able to flee their homeland for protection--they're never truly able to leave their land behind, I should never be able to leave them behind as I sleep.

I've finished the "pleasure reading"--the books I'm reading of my own volition--part of my Summer reading list. I'm starting into the academia-related texts this afternoon. The Outsider by Albert Camus is first up. But before I plunge ahead, here's a re-cap of my reading thus far:

1.) The Two Towers by J.R.R. Tolkien (was already in progress when the Summer began);
2.) Return of the King by J.R.R. Tolkien;
3.) A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf;
4.) Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf (was already in progress when the Summer began);
5.) To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf;
6.) The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien;
7.) The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien;
8.) The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle; and
9.) A Dance for Emilia by Peter S. Beagle.

August will find me reading the following:

1.) The Outsider by Albert Camus;
2.) Hamlet by William Shakespeare (yes, again. : ) But you never can go wrong with Shakespeare!);
3.) Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy;
4.) Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoevsky;
5.) No Exit by Jean-Paul Sartre;
6.) St. Joan of the Stockyards by Bertolt Brecht; and
7.) Odd Women by George Gissing.

No comments: