Wednesday, July 30, 2003

I read The Outsider in a day. Not a bad book, though the last chapter became painfully didactic. Now I'm simultaneously re-reading both Shakespeare's Hamlet and Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar.

Wish I was at Downsview Park today. I would've really loved to see The Flaming Lips and AC/DC. Especially AC/DC. Ah, well. What can ya do when you don't have transportation funds?

Fortunately, I do have more book funds. Earlier tonight, I found out that I've been awarded another bursary--this one from my grandfather's Royal Canadian Legion branch. I'm not sure how much is coming my way, but--regardless of the amount--I'm grateful for it.

I'm grateful, too, that people are still willing to speak out against the World Trade Organization. No, Pierre Pettigrew, the anti-globalisation movement is not dead. Nor should it be allowed to die while neo-liberalism still holds sway. Arm yourself with the following information:

- a handy little article by Yves Engler for those of you who missed the May 2003 issue of Harper's. This article touches on a few of the most salient points in the Harper's article, though the Harper's article remains more in-depth. Order yourself a back-issue (no, I don't work for Harper's, but if they'd like to hire me, I wouldn't say "no"...);

- the National Union of Public and General Employees recently voiced their concerns to the W.T.O. Here's an account of Monday's meeting between N.U.P.G.E. representatives, Canadian trade minister Pierre Pettigrew and W.T.O. director-general Dr. Supachai Panitchpakdi; and

- available for us all: "Making the Links: A Citizen’s Guide to the WTO and the FTAA" by Maude Barlow and Tony Clarke. The report's Canadian and International editions are available--courtesy of The Council of Canadians--in P.D.F. and Word formats. [EDIT - MAY 21, 2007: In case you're having trouble with the link for the guide mentioned above, try this one and this one.]

No comments: