Monday, January 10, 2005

Eavesdropping will get you nowhere...

Eavesdropping will get you nowhere... Except furious.

I was cleaning the dining room chairs at work yesterday when I overheard two patrons' conversation.

The young woman in this pair commented how a friend of hers is working at a school for students in grades 7, 8, and 9 who are failing out of "regular" school. Her male counterpart remarked something to the effect of, "Oh... 'Special' students." She corrected him: "No, like, lower-income kids."

Maybe I'm over-reacting, but this apparent conflation of intellectual ability/scholastic aptitude and financial status deeply offended me.

How innocently this couple joined the two concepts bothers me even more. I think it belies a classist undercurrent in North American society--an undercurrent we'd rather ignore, deriding the British class and the Indian caste systems. We North Americans are enlightened.

What a load of self-deluding crap (if "crap" can indeed be self-deluding...)

On a different note, I'm getting my hair cut on Friday. Like this. I've wanted to get my hair cut that way since I saw the pic last February. Each time I've gone to get it done, though, I've balked because of the bangs (I've worn my hair short since the end of July, but it has been a much different style.) No more. I'm taking the plunge. Maybe I'll post a pic of the result.

No comments: