Sunday, November 09, 2003

Normally, I'm a patient person. But this constant whetting of an appetite whose sating must be deferred is maddening.

The marketing department at New Line is the devil. How am I supposed to wait until December 17th to see Return of the King?! It's evil, I tell you!

You know what else is evil? Making me wait until the 18th of this month to buy The Two Towers Extended Edition DVD. AND making me wait until the 25th to buy the truly epic, utterly moving (I got choked up just listening to the clips on the net) soundtrack to ROTK. It's a shame that Howard Shore won't get the Oscar he deserves for this third consecutive masterpiece (I'm sure many of you know that as of a few years ago, the music branch of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences--which sets its own rules--changed the criteria for Oscar eligibility, stipulating that the scores of sequels cannot be honoured as scoring a sequel is an extention of the work in the original film. I think that rule's an all-round bad idea. The most deserving works have a right to be nominated, notwithstanding their composer's previous experiences. Besides that, scoring sequels must be more challenging. I mean, the composer has to keep things fresh, while incorporating key themes from previous scores to unify the parts. Really though, that rule--as it applies to Lord of the Rings--especially reeks, since ROTK [and TTT before it] is NOT a sequel, but part of a whole. But I guess I should tell that to the music branch, huh?)

Anyway, just because I'm a little Gollum-like right now doesn't mean I'll be filling this blog with one Lord of the Rings post after another. In fact, I'm going to make an extra effort to refrain from posting about LOTR. We swears on the preciousss...

At least until December 17th.

Afterthoughts
And for those of you who may be interested, here's a great little interview with Elijah Wood (Frodo) and Sean Astin (Sam). [Via TheOneRing.net.]

No comments: