Friday, June 13, 2003

Friday Five

1. What's one thing you've always wanted to do, but never have?
There are several, but here are the two I most desire to do: 1.) go mountain climbing/rapelling on a real mountain; and 2.) travel through the U.K., Europe and India.

2. When someone asks your opinion about a new haircut/outfit/etc, are you always honest? I try to be; however, sometimes, tact ends up distancing you from the truth as it softens the blow.

3. Have you ever found out something about a friend and then wished you hadn't? What happened? I've never learnt anything about a friend that I wished I hadn't. I value truth and I couldn't ask a friend to pretend to be anything less than he/she is. I'd much rather be disturbed for a little while than live a lie. There are certain friends about which I don't think I know enough, though...

4. If you could live in any fictional world (from a book/movie/game/etc.) which would it be and why? I'd live in either Tolkien's Middle Earth or Beleriand. Why? Well, I need a little more magic in my life.

5. What's one talent/skill you don't have but always wanted? I'd love to play the harp! I guess I should add its study to my "To Do" list. Right after "Finish teaching yourself to play the guitar" (I started that in elementary school when my mom started taking guitar lessons herself.)

-------------------------------------------------




Your magical style is Psychic.

What type of Magic do you work?. Take the Magical Style Quiz by Paradox





You are a siren.

What legend are you?. Take the Legendary Being Quiz by Paradox


-------------------------------------------------


So I saw Coldplay in Toronto on Wednesday. What a great show! Fun was had by all. (For those of you craving further details, don't worry: you will be satisfied. I'm going to write up a concert review for NME.com. I'll post it here when I'm done.)

Interesting Factoid #1: Beleaguered Ontario Health Minister Tony Clement is an apparent Coldplay fan. I saw him at the concert; he ended up sitting reasonably close to Kerri, Randy and I.

Interesting Factiod #2: Ozzy fans are easy to spot. Also on Wednesday night, Toronto played host to an Ozzy Osbourne show as well. While waiting for Randy to meet us in Union Station, we invented and played the game "Spot the OzzFan." Tonnes of fun!

Ineresting Factoid #3: Gasp! There is a Canada outside of Toronto, Torontonians! While wandering along John Street Wednesday afternoon, Kerri and I were stopped by a canvasser for the Toronto Humane Society. We explained that we were from out of town and--surprise, surprise!--the canvasser hadn't the foggiest where our hometown was! Our city's not that small and, because of it's role in industry, is pretty well-known throughout the country. (More for chemical spills and pollution than any of the city's residents would like to admit. The rep is an exaggeration, but that's not something to get into at the moment.) Trying to help the canvasser literally understand where we were coming from, I noted, "We get all of Toronto's garbage." Literally. We do. Poor guy, though, thought I was making a disparaging remark about Torontonians.

I have nothing to say against Torontonians, though, except for that--by and large--the majority of them are completely oblivious. Okay, fine. They don't have to know where my hometown is (though it's only three hours away!) But come on! At least care enough to pay attention to what your city council does, shipping garbage down highways from Toronto to locations in southwestern Ontario and beyond. Do they think the garbage, once it leaves their hands, takes care of itself?! How can they take that for granted? It's that kind of not thinking that continues to harm the environment.

Interesting Factoid #4: (Okay, not so much an "Interesting Factoid" as a truism...) There are a lot of idiots out there. My sister works at a call centre. Her first day actually on the phones was yesterday. She spent forty minutes trying to wait on some idiot who called, put her on speaker phone and drank with his friends as he hit on her. She handled it well, though. If there is one thing I know--besides that there are a lot of idiots out there--it's that my little sister can take care of herself. She does a damn good job of it, too! I'm more proud of her than she'll ever understand.

Afterthoughts:
A rather important afterthought--I can't believe I didn't remember to comment on it when I initially wrote this entry! Anyway, I'll get to the point. The Ontario Supreme Court finally did the right thing: the ruled against the government and said that not allowing same-sex marriages violates the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. What's more is that it has ordered the city of Toronto to register several same-sex marriages it was, until now, refusing to recognize. Yay! A human rights victory like this is truly a victory for all, for by ensuring the fundamental human rights for a certain group, we ensure them for all Canadians. If we enfringe upon the rights of one group, then--by setting a precedent--we risk violating the rights of everyone.

No comments: