Wednesday, May 21, 2003

Slightly adapted from Exclaim! magazine's "Questionnaire."

Current fixations:
Mining my way through the May 2003 issue of Harper's and the rest of my Summer reading list. Finding a job. Working on my writing portfolio.

Mind-altering work of art:
The Lord of the Rings. Like you didn't see that coming. The breadth of Tolkien's creation and the depth of his imagination blows my mind.

Most memorable or inspirational gig:
Hot Hot Heat at Call the Office in September 2002. The show, from the first chords played by opening acts The Parkas and Brendan Benson and the Wellfed Boys to the final chord strummed by Victoria's favourite sons, was so high energy! It took me hours to wind-down.

What has been your career high and low?
High: Getting into Western's portfolio creative writing class; having my play performed during UWO's
one-act play festival; having some of my poems published. It's been up, up, up lately. I can't help
wondering when the bubble's going to burst...

Low: Not even placing in this writing contest my hometown held. I'm still bitter.

What should everyone shut up about?
The Music. Oh, yeah. And the Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs. Oh, no, no, no, thank you!

I would drop everything to play a benefit for:
Well, in my line of work, I'd have to give a benefit reading/hold a benefit performance of a play. But I'd do that for Oxfam in a hearbeat.

What trait do you like and dislike most about yourself?
Like: I'm passionate about everything I do; I don't do things half-assed.
Dislike: I'm sensitive to a fault; I can take things a little too seriously.

What would make you kick someone out of your band and/or bed, and have you?
Well, if I had a band, I certainly wouldn't kick anyone out for being a newly minted ex-boyfriend/girlfriend of a fellow band member!

Although this is going to sound callous, I've kicked someone out of my bed because of boredom.

Edited to say: It was more out of my boredom with the whole person than boredom with what said individual was doing in my bed. But believe me, that was a factor, too.

When I think of Canada I think:
Go CBC or go home.

What is your vital daily ritual?
My I.V. of coffee.

How do you spoil yourself?
Mmm... Beer. And concert-going. And shopping/dining in London's King and Talbot neighbourhood. Preferably if done in succession.

What was your most memorable day job?
Lifeguaring/teaching swimming lessons. I really miss working with kids and developing the kind of bonds with co-workers that can only form during twelve (or the occasional thirteen) hour shifts.

If I wasn’t writing I would be:
Dead.

What is your greatest fear?
Dying alone.

If you had a superpower, what would it be?
Telekinesis/telepathy a la Jean Grey.

What makes you want to take it off and get it on?
Music. Especially that by The Dears, Sigur Ros and Black Rebel Motorcycle Club. And The Promise Land's raspberry-patchouli incense.

Music and sex: Is there a difference? Why?
Not an iota of difference: when it's good, you're always left wanting more. When it's bad, the whole thing's just a big turn-off.

Strangest brush with celebrity:
My mentor/former creative writing professor is friends with Margaret Atwood. Does that count?

Who would be your ideal dinner guest, living or dead, and what would you serve them?
Dante Alighieri or Tina Modotti. Homemade red wine, and baguette slices with baked brie and raspberry coolie.

What does your mom wish you were doing instead?
At present? Working. But she's always encouraged me to do whatever makes me happy. So...

No comments: