Friday, February 14, 2003

Earlier today, I was reading Becky's blog, one of my favourite leisure reads, and I decided to peruse the archives. In the process of doing so, I came across this quiz. Being the internet quiz-whore (damn! I'm going to get a few, ahem, uncomfortable hits for that word showing up here again!) that I am, I took it. Apparently, I am not like one poet, but four! My answers displayed the same number of "traits" exhibited by each. An interesting product from such a mix. Why not just say that I'm like the poet Natalie St.Pierre? Oh, yeah. 'Cause I haven't been published yet!


You are Carl Sandburg
You see the world in a different way than your peers and are able to find beauty in the most unusual places!

Take the Which Poet are You? Quiz - brought to you out of boredom and pretention!




You are Sylvia Plath
No matter how much you struggle, you can't manage to shake off depression. You use symbolism to express yourself and have a knack for getting the most out of gas ovens.

Take the Which Poet are You? Quiz - brought to you out of boredom and pretention!




You are Alfred Lord Tennyson
You are very analytical and like to debate. You want truth and beauty. For you, it seems that every cloud has a silver lining. You believe it is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

Take the Which Poet are You? Quiz - brought to you out of boredom and pretention!




You are Maya Angelou
You have a strong sense of self and have faith in your abilities. You are an optimist and believe that things can get better if people work together. You also have faith in humanity.

Take the Which Poet are You? Quiz - brought to you out of boredom and pretention!



I sent some poems to my friend Luke for publication in a student literary magazine. If he uses them, I'll post them here if anyone's interested in reading some of my writing... In the meantime, if you've got the urge to read some poetry (seeing as it's Valentine's Day), check out everypoet.com. Just don't stick to reading only the love poetry. Too much of that will rot your mind. You've gotta work for some things, people!

I'm going home this weekend in a second attempt to save my sanity, so I won't be posting for a few days. But as a special Valentine's treat, I'll leave you with one my favourite poems. And yes, it is a love poem. But it's by e.e. cummings. Cummings makes you work. There. I've redeemed myself.

somewhere i have never travelled,gladly beyond
e.e. cummings

somewhere i have never travelled, gladly beyond
any experience,your eyes have their silence:
in your most frail gesture are things which enclose me,
or which i cannot touch because they are too near

your slightest look will easily unclose me
though i have closed myself as fingers,
you open always petal by petal myself as Spring opens
(touching skilfully,mysteriously)her first rose

or if your wish be to close me, i and
my life will shut very beautifully ,suddenly,
as when the heart of this flower imagines
the snow carefully everywhere descending;
nothing which we are to perceive in this world equals
the power of your intense fragility:whose texture
compels me with the color of its countries,
rendering death and forever with each breathing

(i do not know what it is about you that closes
and opens;only something in me understands
the voice of your eyes is deeper than all roses)
nobody,not even the rain,has such small hands

No comments: