Saturday, December 28, 2002

I love this time of year. There's really only one problem with it: it is SO hard for me to find Natalie Time during the holidays. I suppose that explains the un-godly hours I've been keeping lately despite the fact that I'm still trying to stave off this cold/flu that's been threatening to put me out of commission since the end of November. But it's oh-so-important for me to have time for myself. So I suppose if that means I'll have to be a little under the weather for a bit, I'll just have to deal with it.

Tonight I've had some Natalie Time--a chance to just relax and do whatever my heart desires. What has my heart desired? Well, exploring the blogging world, for one. In my exploits I stopped by not a pretty girl, a blog I read regularly. Candice, the mind behind the blog, had linked to Emode's inkblot test. And since Natalie Time entails doing what Natalie desires (and, as I've said before, I'm an internet quiz-whore), I took the test. My results are as follows:

Nat, your unconscious mind is driven most by Peace

You are driven by a higher purpose than most people. You have a deeply-rooted desire to facilitate peacefulness in the world. Whether through subtle interactions with love ones, or through getting involved in social causes, it is important to you to influence the world.

You are driven by a desire to encourage others to think about the positive side of things instead of focusing on the negative. The reason your unconscious is consumed by this might stem from an innate fear of war and turmoil. Thus, to avoid that uncomfortable place for you, your unconscious seeks out the peace in your environment.

Usually, the thing that underlies this unconscious drive is a deep respect for humankind. You care about the future of the world, even beyond your own involvement in it. As a result, your personal integrity acts as a surrogate for your deeper drive toward peace and guides you in daily life towards decisions that are respectful toward yourself and others.


I think it's a pretty apt description of my unconsciousness. Mind you, I do enjoy participating in a good debate. But even when debating my motivation is not to argue for arguing's sake. There's always some sense of righteous indignation behind my arguments. Perhaps rather arrogantly, I strongly believe that what I argue is going to benefit the common good--not just for my own generation, but for my great-great-grandchildren's generation. And I'll always, perhaps sometimes idiodically, argue against any form of violence. And I do believe that's because I was raised to respect all human life--especially when it comes to differences of opinion. Everyone has the right to exist. Similarly, everyone has a right not only to their opinion, but to the expression of that opinion. I think that it is only when everyone on this planet finally realizes this that lasting peace will be possible.

On a completely unrelated topic, I saw The Two Towers again yesterday. And then again. Yesterday. Yes, twice in one day. And yes, three times in eight days. And yes, I watched The Fellowship of the Ring twice on Christmas Day. What can I say? I love The Lord of the Rings! And anyway, it's important to see films, read books, listen to CDs more than once, as you're bound to pick up something new each time. After the past week, I know I now have a greater appreciation for the craftsmanship of Peter Jackson.

Speaking of which, I am reminded that I have yet to do a Post-Christmas inventory... Let's see... Hm. I'm feeling quite spoiled. I recieved a lot of great gifts, including the following:

1. The Fellowship of the Ring VHS;
2. Beauty and the Beast VHS (the Disney animated version;
3. The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath (at last! my own copy!!) [book];
4. Who Stole Feminism? by Christina Hoff Summers [book];
5. Give Them Enough Rope by The Clash [CD];
6. Down at the Khyber by The Joel Plaskett Emergency [CD];
7. Bankruptcy by Tigre Benvie [CD];
8. This Is It Here We Go by Local Rabbits [CD];
9. What's Going On by the incomparable Marvin Gaye [CD] (it has just occurred to me that I call a lot of the artists I listen to "incomparable"... Hm. Well, either I'm prone to hyperbole or I really do listen to a lot of incomparable musicians. I prefer to think that it's the latter, that I never do anything half-assed. Nah, it's always full-assed here--HEY! Get your mind out of the gutter! I'm up here!)
10. a set of Japanese tea cups with different Geishas painted on each cup;
11. a sushi set (including a sushi cookbook);
12. a framed elephant (it's hard to describe, but trust me. It's cool);
13. a beautiful notepad made from recycled paper;
14. one of those oh-so-cute, but oh-so-scary furry cat figurines;
15. an elephant Chia Pet (I love elephants!);
16. a Two Towers poster puzzle;
17. a "Gemini" zodiac sign mug and some white hot chocolate;
18. a vase and some bubble bath from family friends (Randy and his parents);
19. a Toblerone bar and some random surprises; and
20. money from my Grandma St.Pierre (with which I've used to buy, so far, my own copies of The Hobbit and A Tolkien Bestiary by David Day.

Like I said, I feel really spoiled. And I think I have good reason to feel that way. *Hangs head in embarrassment.* I'm not usually this spoiled...

And now I think I shall indulge myself some more. I'll watch a few more minutes of Fubar with my sister and her friend Andrea before I head to my room to do some reading.

No comments: