Sunday, November 03, 2002

Today was spent with one of my two very best friends, Ryan. Ry and I always have a blast when we're together. We can joke/talk about pretty much anything (and, you know, as far as friendships go, that's what it's all about!) After indulging in a little cinematic horror in the form of Misery and the original Nightmare on Elm Street, we engaged in one of those famous talks of ours, during which Ryan shared with me some of his observations on writers who are really passionate about writing (me being the prime source of his generalization).

Ryan believes that said writers notice the little and simple things and, perhaps more importantly, don't take them for granted. The minutest sentiment, sensation is embraced and appreciated.

Coincidentally (or not--if you don't believe in coincidence), when I popped on-line for a bit after Ryan had left, Tehlonious directed me to a site which, in turn, referred me to a Discovery Health test related to this very thing Ryan observed in the writers he knows: sensuality. According to this test, I am "super sensual," scoring 81 out of a possible 100 (100 being most sensual, 0 being least). The interpretation of my results was as follows:

"You are one sensual human being! You are titillated by the sensual stimuli of everyday life. The smell of flowers, the sensation of silk against the skin, the taste of food, the sound of music, and the rich colors of life tickle and tease you to ecstasy. Yours is a hedonistic attitude, and you deeply enjoy the physical pleasures that life has to offer. This is great-a good smell or beautiful color is often enough to keep a smile on your face and a song in your heart.

You are into long, emotional lovemaking (which is usually followed by an earth-shattering orgasm). This is fabulous for you and one would wager that your partner doesn't mind either!

Your senses are also inextricably linked to your emotions and certain sensual stimuli can evoke strong feelings. Therefore you tend to be emotionally passionate.

Because you get so much pleasure from your senses, you are eager to experiment in life. This is positive since you can make great discoveries and experience a lot of pleasure. However, being pleasure-driven can sour you from persevering if an experience isn't entirely pleasant. If that's your case, your lack of persistence might be keeping you from attaining worthy goals (sometimes it is necessary to wade through dull and insipid periods of life).

But most importantly, remember that 'too much of a good thing' can be harmful. People who delight is sensual pleasures are at a slightly increased risk for addictions (substance, sex, love, etc.). So keep yourself in check. Uninhibited sex, too much chocolate, and fine wine can all induce pleasure, but can get you into trouble if you abuse them.

All in all, you have the innate ability to use your senses to enjoy what this life has to offer!"

Hm. I may have an addictive personality? Who?!?! ME??? Heh. I know. And I'll be the first to admit it. I'm trying to kick the coffee habit. Alright. I'm trying to at least master my addiction to the stuff. And I know that I like alcohol a little too much. I keep that strictly in check, though. I'm too young to self-destruct. Give me at least another six years--twenty-seven is the set age for self-destruction, isn't it? Jimi, Janis and Kurt were all twenty-seven... But I digress... That addictive personality is precisely why I've never been knocked-off-my-ass drunk. I've been "buzzed" before, but never drunk. It's a line that I am wary of crossing because I don't know if I'll be able to get back. I do find pleasure in food and drink, scents and sensations. But, as I with my alcohol consumption, I try to keep my wits about me.

Really, though. I didn't need a test to tell me that. I know that I am hedonistic. I'm human. We all like what feels good. We all seek out what is pleasurable, whether it be in the form of a job or partner we enjoy doing or a food or drink we can't get enough of.

Though Ryan's comments on those who choose the way of the pen may not extend to everyone (I know plenty of people who take far too much for granted), we are all sensual. Prove me right (or wrong, as it may be), people. Take that test and let me know how you do. Share your opinion, or a story or two. That's what my "Shout Out[s]" are for!

No comments: