Tuesday, November 05, 2002

And don't I have work to do?
Yes. Yes, I do. As of late, unfortunately--despite my love for what I am studying--I've been doing more than my requisite share of feet-dragging when it's time to do homework. As I wrote in an e-mail to my friend Murph, I'm at the point where I just want to be done with things so I can get on with the real business of life. I want to write. I don't want to be an academic any more. If I took a year off, even with only a year left before I graduate, I don't think I'd be able to go back...

I want to travel, too. Fuel my writing. Basically, I've decided I need to live more. If I can take anything away from meeting and getting to know Mr Mature it is that. I mean, he has eight years on me, but still. He's experienced so much more than I have. It's made me think. Everything here is so circumscribed; it can feel suffocating at times. My university really is a bubble. I can see out of it, but I can't leave it. Not yet, anyway. But it's something that will happen soon enough.

I feel content with the idea of finishing school. I know a lot of people fear it. I don't. What's scary is how quickly time passes us by. And me with so much to do still!

I think I first started to really feel comfortable with the idea of finishing school when I decided against teachers' college and post graduate studies (teachers' college is a definite no, but I may eventually get my M.A. and Ph.D.) I think that if I'm practical, if I have some sensible job to support my writing habit, it'll become just that: a habit. Or, still worse, a hobby. I know that if I have something to fall back on, I'm not going to make things happen for myself; I'll have an excuse not to even try to publish. And then I'd have an excuse not to write at all. And I'd be miserable.

Writing is such a risk, but it's riskier still to give it up.

And haven't I been thinking!
It's high time for me to once again sing the praises of Shift magazine. Its website currently features a great Zachery Kerbel-penned article called "Bored to Death". Though not completely out of the running for a Saint of Me "Well, Duh!" prize, it is an entertaining look at what North Americans find entertaining. A highly recommended read.

And shouldn't you be listening???!
What are you doing? What aren't you listening to the Black Rebel Motorcycle Club? For future direction, check my links sidebar.

And I'm having a Carrie Bradshaw moment...
Or a Candace Bushnell moment, for that matter. I've been giving monikers to certain men in my life. Protecting the innocent? Maybe. But I'm not sure of that innocence stuff, though.

And shouldn't I be finished with my blathering on?
Yes. Yes, I should. For tonight, at least. I seem to recall someone saying something about homework...

No comments: