Wednesday, November 08, 2006

All of them puppets and villains.

Is it too much to hope that one so seemingly humourless as Stephen Harper has suddenly acquired a sense of humour?

According to Don Cherry, when he visited Parliament today, Harper met with him and "asked him to run in the next election."

Serious or not, Harper's offer was turned down. Cherry reported, "You know what I told him? I'm too great on television, I can't."

Don't get me wrong, I love Don. I especially love the dynamic he has going with Ron McLean. What I don't love is undignified behaviour in the House of Commons. Though perhaps Don would fit right in? Cherry, himself known for his lack of propriety and decorum (which is, confined to Coach's Corner, perfectly charming), was booed by some members of Parliament during his visit to the House on Tuesday. It's more than unfortunate--it's disgusting--that this sort of behaviour in the House of Commons has become, well, commonplace.

I'm reminded of one of my favourite episodes of Seinfeld: "The Fire." In this episode, Kramer brings Toby, a co-worker of Elaine's, to see Jerry's comedy club act. Toby heckles Jerry throughout his entire set.

Incredulous, Jerry shouts after the show, "Booing and hissing are not part of the show! You boo puppets! You hiss villains in silent movies!"

Likewise booing and hissing shouldn't be a part of the circus they have up in Ottawa. In fact, it shouldn't be a circus at all! Maybe if members of Parliament tried to adopt some semblance of civility, if not respect, they'd actually accomplish something? Maybe they'd even become the kind of people I want representing Canada to the world?!

But then again, maybe I just need to have a sense of humour about this sort of thing.

No comments: