Monday, October 09, 2006

Not an all-encompassing update (yet!), but nevertheless...

Today was my first Turkey-holiday meal, post-meat.

I wasn't sure how well I would handle it--the smell wafting from the oven as the bird browned in its own juices was intoxicating.

But once I got to the dinner table, surprisingly, not being able to eat turkey wasn't that big of a deal. My mother is such a good cook and there was such a variety of food that I could eat that I didn't feel the least bit deprived. In addition to the garden salad, cranberry sauce, dill pickles, stuffing, and garlic and oregano mashed potatoes, there was a sweet potato dish with garlic, onions, shiitake and white button mushrooms, and rosemary; carrot soup with roasted pumpkin seeds, fresh grated carrot, and fresh mint; and vegan (for my sister) rolls. And the meal's crowning touch? My mom's freshly baked apple crisp, garnished with butterscotch ice cream.

Turkey? What's that?!

Christmas dinner can't come soon enough!

No comments: