Friday, October 28, 2005

I think I'm going to be sick.

I think I am going to be sick. And, as far as I know, there's nothing wrong with my water!

I don't know how many of you have been following this, but this is unacceptable.

It is unacceptable that about a hundred First Nations communities are under "boil water" advisories; it is unacceptable that the Kashechewan First Nation brought there own water contamination issues to the attention of the Indian Affairs Minister in August and is only seeing definitive action now; and it is unacceptable that the members of any community should leave under "boil water" advisories--especially for a prolonged period of time.

Furthermore, it is unacceptable that some people--like those in Walkerton, Ontario--seem to merit swift (or at least relatively swift, given the bureaucracy) government action, while people in First Nations communities don't appear to rate.

This whole thing just smacks of systemic racism.

No comments: