Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Diminished capacity

lewisblack
You're Lewis Black. You're mad as hell, and
probably going to take it some more so that you
can use it in your segment.


Which Daily Show persona are you?
brought to you by Quizilla


[Via Becky (a.k.a. "Stephen Colbert").]

Why does this not surprise me?

I may not have been spewing my venom here as of late, but make no mistake: of venom I have not run out!

Work-related fatigue has just dimished my ability to unleash it. Or even read or write at leisure. My former thesis supervisor warned me that I probably wouldn't feel up to reading, but I didn't really consider very seriously that it could be true. I certainly didn't think that I'd me too tired to write! (I do have some ideas, though, that I really should get down on paper...)

I'm behind in my knitting even. And Christmas is coming.

I'm still trying to find a balance. Over the past three weeks, I have worked approximately one hundred and forty-five hours. I haven't had time for much besides work. And periods of rest (either zoned-out in front of the television or asleep--often not soundly.)

I fear I am becoming dull. Personally, the very act of putting this entry into print is lulling me to sleep. I can imagine what it's doing for you...

On an up note, I've acquired two new books: my own copy of the Cambridge History of Italian Literature (the apparent last-available-in-print copy of a text that was of such great help in my thesis writing), and a copy of The Great Code: The Bible and Literature by Northrop Frye (more pre-grad thesis reading.) And guess who's getting Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell for Christmas??! Reading that is an incentive for achieving balance if ever I could conceive one!

But first: the last forty or so pages of The Church of Solitude await. Time to muster my energy.

No comments: