Friday, February 13, 2004

Not very "Superstitious"

Well, since I haven't posted to this affect in a while, here are my answers to today's Friday Five:

1. Are you superstitious? Hm. I guess that depends on what you consider superstitious. Do I believe that if I drop silverware, I should expect company? No. Do I believe that if my palm itches, I'm going to come into money? No. Do I believe that if I step on a crack, I'll break my mother's back? Certainly not.

I do, however, believe in the paranormal. I believe that ghosts exist. And I do believe E.S.P./intuition exists (it's a condition that runs in my family), but not in the Psychic Friends Network/Coco way.


2. What extremes have you heard of someone going to in the name of superstition? I don't know very many superstitious people. I know many people with irrational fears (I sometimes even count myself as one of them), but no one I know has ever done anything beyond throwing a pinch of spilled salt over their left shoulder or forwarding a chainletter.

Well, except for my Uncle Kevin, my mother's older brother.

He actually cancelled a trip to Florida after my mom told him about a dream she had.

Over breakfast one morning, my mom recounted how she dreamt that my uncle and his best friend purchased plane tickets for a trip to Florida. The plane crashed, killing only two passengers: my uncle and his friend.

Across the table from my mother, my uncle sat, frozen, the colour draining from his face.

"Witch," he sputtered.

Unbeknownst to my mother, my uncle and his friend had purchased plane tickets to Florida. So shaken as he was, my uncle couldn't bring himself to take the trip.


3. Believer or not, what's your favorite superstition? I've always liked the one that says that if your nose itches, you'll kiss a fool. I don't put any stock in it (though I have kissed my share of fools!), but it does appeal to the romantic in me (yeah, that same romantic who only yesterday railed against Valentine's Day... I still stand by that rant--love should be celebrated every day!)


4. Do you believe in luck? If yes, do you have a lucky number/article of clothing/ritual? You make your own luck. I do have a favourite number, though: six. But, of course, it's never brought me any luck.


5. Do you believe in astrology? Why or why not? I don't really believe in astrology. Are you surprised?

While there are a number of my personality traits which are allegedly common to all Geminis, there are more of them that aren't. Astrology pingeonholes people into particular categories--categories which in no way allow for genuine human experience. The astrology question is one of Nature versus Nuture. And I happen to believe socialization is ultimately stronger.

Plus, while most things in life I have no control over, I'd like to believe that I have control over the choices I make (some might say that choice is an illusion, but I'll leave that debate for another date.) For me, to believe in astrology would mean I'd have to relinquish any sense of control over my own destiny. And that's something I choose not to do.


-------------------


And now, via Becky, we have The Cyborg Name Generator. If I were a cyborg, you could call me the following:




But really, you could just call me C3-PO... Wink, wink...

No comments: