Thursday, September 25, 2003

The Good...
1.) My thesis and my seminar on the New Woman in nineteenth century British Lit. It's always a good thing when you're inspired by your work.

2.) My play. I'm pretty happy with how it's shaping up. I've incorporated some music (a la Arthur Miller in Death of a Salesman) by an acquaintance of mine who happens to be in his final year of a degree in music composition.

3.) Music. Music is the purest form of art, I think. It has the power to do what words cannot. What better way to employ it, then, than in the expression of the ineffable? (**HINT, HINT!** Curious about my play yet?)

There is so much that we cannot articulate. Even when we do find the words, those words are always inadequate. They may give the shape of things, but they can never express the things themselves.

Music can.


The Bad...
1.) Theatre politics.

2.) Being understanding when I'd really rather just be angry.

3.) Three hours of class on Fridays.


The Bittersweet...
1.) Constructive criticism. (Is it right to appreciate it only when I happen to agree with it??? Perhaps it's only natural...)

2.) A monarch in September. So graceful, so free--so fragile. The nights are getting colder here--shouldn't that monarch have migrated by now?? It saddens me to think that the time of something so beautiful is so fleeting.

But, I guess, what is beauty, if not impermanent? Would we think anything beautiful if we could posses it, never let it go?

I don't think so. Even beauty can be tiresome. It's impermanence only helps us appreciate it when we do see it.

3.) Freedom. I love it. But certain types of freedom can be lonely, too...


Listening to "Staralfur" by Sigur Ros.

No comments: