Tuesday, June 03, 2003

This-or-That Tuesday

1. Cats or dogs?
Cats. I appreciate their need for independence/space and am fascinated by their uncanny ability to still guage when their companionship is needed.
When I was little, I always wanted a dog. After years of begging and pleading, my parents relented. However, when my dad took me to the Humane Society to pick out a pooch, I decided that a dog would be much too, um, overwhelming for me (the noise! and the neediness! I can't even put up with a human who needs my constant approval--why would I be able to put up with an even more dependent animal?! An insightful ten year old, I was.) That day, I decided cats were for me. And I haven't wavered since.

2. Butterflies or birds? Don't make me choose! I envy both of them for the freedom of their flight.

3. Horses or cows? Cows are cute, but horses are majestic. Horses have an extra special place in my heart, though, because they remind me of my godparents. My godfather is the farm manager of this horse farm (they breed race horses; they've even had one Queen's Plate winner within the past six or seven seasons) outside of Toronto. Little known Natalie Fact: I devoured horse stories as a pre-teen.

4. Turtles or snakes? Turtles. I find snakes threatening.

5. Frogs or grasshoppers? Frogs. They're the sweeter vocalists. Now, if "grasshoppers" had been "crickets"...

6. Lions or tigers? Or bears! Oh, my! Okay. In all seriousness, lions. Lions remind me more of my own cat. It's gotta be the mane.

7. Elephants or mice? Oh, elephants! As if you needed to ask!

8. Porcupines or aardvarks? Porcupines. Like the one at Science North. Kerri, you know what I'm talking about, right?

9. Unicorns or dragons? Okay. It's revelation time. Few people outside my immediate family know this: I love unicorns. I mean, I still do. It was widely known that I had a soft spot for them in my youth; I had amassed such a collection of unicorn figurines, I couldn't hide the fact. But even now, I still have those figurines. And The Last Unicorn is still one of my favourite movies. Don't get me started on this live action remake travesty! (Mind you, I do love that they're giving some of the original talent--Angela Lansbury, Mia Farrow and Christopher Lee--work. Lansbury is Mommy Fortuna once again and Lee reprises his King Haggard (yay! Could there be a better bad guy than Christopher Lee?! Oh, how I love Christopher Lee!), but Mia Farrow as Molly Grue?!?! Mia's a wonderful actress, but--even with make up--I think she'd still be too lovely. I wonder who they'll get to play Amalthea...?)

10. Thought-provoking question of the week: You live in a rather dumpy apartment. A friend offers you a chance to be a roommate at a new place s/he is moving into, but they don't allow pets. You have a pet. Do you find your pet a new home and take the new place, or do you keep your pet and stay put? I'd keep my pet and stay put. Pets really do become a part of your family. You wouldn't ditch a loved one for better digs, would you? So why should you if that loved one is a cat--or a dog, for that matter?

------------------------------------------


I really don't want to make a habit out of this--a weekly bitch about job hunting, if you will--but I'm at a loss right now. I am so frustrated. Not just with the fact that I don't have a job yet, but with interviewers who--seeing I'm going back to school in September--give me an interview anyway, only to reiterate at the end of the interview that they're really looking for someone who can stay on in the Fall. Don't waste my time then!!! If you see that I'm not going to be around in the Fall, don't bother to even call me for an interview. You give me false hope.

Getting that interview and seeing that you really like what I have to offer makes not getting the job on The September Technicality all the more disheartening.

So I'm weighing my options at the moment. And, right now, since it looks like I won't be working this summer, I'm thinking I'll have to work during the school year. It'll be a juggling act--especially with my involvement on my faculty students' council (I'm the council's speaker this coming year!)--but I suppose it's one that cannot be avoided.

No comments: