Sunday, April 27, 2003


You are Psychic!


What's Your Magic Power?
brought to you by Quizilla



You are a Spiritualist. Your magic flows from the
primal forces of the cosmos. You could be a
gentle Healer, a miraculous Prophet or a
spirit-summoning War-mage with the strong link
your soul provides to the realms beyond
reality. You have preternatural abilities,
intutively sensing the personality of people
you meet and discerning events yet to happen.
You enhance your aura with meditative pursuits.
You are a good judge of character but your
idealism or morality can confuse others.


Which Magical Order Are You In?
brought to you by Quizilla





All exams have been written and I have one paper to write yet (due Tuesday morning.) The final paper is going to be an investigation into how Christina Hoff Sommers in Who Stole Feminism?: How Women Have Betrayed Women and Dennis Altman in The Homosexualization of America, The Americanization of the Homosexual argue that the women's and gay liberation movements have been co-opted.

I haven't looked at Altman's work just yet, but I've given Hoff Sommers' a close reading. I plan to summarize her arguments and critique them on the basis of her dismissal of Foucault. I am baffled why she chooses to dismiss him, as his theories of how discourse can control thought processes would be well-suited to explaining the success of so-called "gender feminists." Interestingly, though, she writes-off Foucault, while using Orwell's ideas of Newspeak/Doublespeak as support. When it comes to theories of the power of language, I think that Orwell and Foucault (among other structuralists/post-structuralists) are closer than Hoff Sommers admits.

Ooooh! And I plan to bring in a little bit of Theodor Adorno's "Commitment" for good measure!

Oh, I'm such I nerd. I'm getting really excited about this. Too bad this paper's only an eight-pager. I have enough ideas for an eight page paper on Hoff Sommers' work alone!

And before I forget, I just want to clarify something I wrote in Friday's post. I just wanted to say that I don't think reading is ever a waste of time. What I meant to say when I noted that "I wasn't wasting my day" was that I wasn't procrastinating. Whew! I feel better now. Off I go to engage in that most profitable enterprise: reading.

No comments: