Friday, April 04, 2003

There is snow on the ground. Again. I thought we had dispensed of this? Mother Nature is not upholding her end of the bargain.

Today's my Dad's birthday (his 50th, actually) and I know full-well that it always snows if not on his birthday, then a few days after or before it. Sigh. I guess I was just hoping that this week's flurries and the overnight snowfall that melted before noon the next day were it... Ordinarily, I love snow. I welcome it, in fact. But not today. I was so enjoying the gorgeous weather we had been having. I mean, why wouldn't I? I get to wear my funky Spring/Fall coats! They're so much cooler than my Winter ones!

Anyway, I was up late last night. For a little while, I just stood at the kitchen window with all the kitchen lights off, watching the freezing rain, smelling the fresh air. After a little while, I wrapped myself up in my housecoat, donned my slippers and went out to stand on the balcony. It was wonderful. Peaceful. Everything looked so beautiful, dressed in the rain's cold kisses. The lights in the courtyard gave everything an other-worldly glow. My own Lothlorien.

The sharp but fresh air and the occasional spray of rain upon my face made me feel so alive.

Listening to "How to Disappear Completely" by Radiohead.

No comments: