Sunday, March 23, 2003

Well, I am sufficiently puzzled. There have a lot of passenger trains whizzing by my building this past week. Before this week, I hadn't seen any passenger trains use those tracks in all the time I've lived here. I was under the impression that the North tracks were for freight traffic only (since the South tracks are the ones that go by the train station)... Curious indeed...

It's funny, too. I can now tell the difference between freight trains and passengers trains by their sound alone. Without having to figure in the duration of the sound (the freight trains have more cars.) The passenger trains travel faster, so the sound's a bit different.

I've been asked by so many people, my younger sister most recently, if the sound of the trains bothers me. To be honest, it doesn't really. And I don't think that's just because I've gotten use to it (and no, I've never been woken up by a train, but that's not a big deal since I'm such a sound sleeper. Ask any of my roommates past or present about how I react if a fire alarm goes off while I'm asleep!)

I've always liked train travel and I find the sound of a train strangely comforting. The only times I'm bothered by the noise are when I'm listening to music on a low volume because of the time of night (gotta respect the roommate and the neighbours!) The sound of the trains tend to drown it out.

Listening to "The Chain" by Fleetwood Mac and the music of a freight train.

No comments: