Friday, March 21, 2003

I've been meaning to start doing this for a while, but for one reason or another, I kept putting it off. Well, I guess there's no time to take action like the present. Without further ado, then, let me present to you my very first Friday Five:


1. If you had the chance to meet someone you've never met, from the past or present, who would it be?

I'd love to have met Sylvia Plath. I really do feel as though we would've been kindred spirits. Ultimately, I think it would be really cool to test that hypothesis even if I am proven wrong.


2. If you had to live in a different century, past or future, which would it be?

This is a tough one. There are so many countries in which I'd love to live. Now or in the future. The U.K. (I'm including Northern Ireland here, of course) and Italy are especially attractive to me. But in the past? Actually, I think I would've liked to be my present age (21) during Trudeau-era Canada. Not being old enough to remember any Trudeau government, I really feel as though I've missed out on something.


3. If you had to move anywhere else on Earth, where would it be?

I've always dreamed about living in a house in the woods near the Hudson and Georgian Bays. A house right near the water so I could look out my window to see the sun setting on the water after having spent the afternoon wandering through the woods, pausing every now and then to write an idea for a short story or a line of verse in the notebook I carry. Sigh...


4. If you had to be a fictional character, who would it be?

I'd be Mary from Jane Urquhart's Away. Sure, she abandoned her husband and two young children (I wouldn't be her for this reason!), but I have this romanticized idea of the freedom that comes from eschewing responsibilities to commune with nature...


5. If you had to live with having someone else's face as your own for the rest of your life, whose would it be?

Hm. Well, I was trying to consider all the faces I've seen in my life, but the face that kept popping into my head was Liv Tyler's. So yeah, I guess I'd have to say I could live with having Liv's face. She always looks so fresh-faced and feminine. Needless to say, I could also live with having her long legs.


Listening to "This Night Has Opened My Eyes" by The Smiths.

No comments: