Tuesday, March 11, 2003

I would like to state for the record that Frances McDormand is so freaking cool, it's scary. She's the covergirl for the Spring 2003 issue of Bust (photographed by Michael Lavine). Doesn't she look gorgeous? Her interview with Wednesday Martin is featured inside.

So what makes Frances so freaking cool? Here's a sample:

On her new film, Laurel Canyon:
I wanted to do nudity. I felt like, all right, I'm 45, I've got cellulite, I've got stretch marks. I'm feeling really good about myself. Let's stick it out there.

On body image:
And I'm really glad that I eat red meat and drink alcohol and do other things. So there you have it. And genetically, you got dealt a certain hand and regardless of what you do, you've got it, and it's not gonna change that much. And you can manipulate it through exercise and diet, but at the end of the day, if you don't celebrate it in some way, you just become invisible.

On wrinkles and aging gracefully:
The idea of erasing the emblems of what we've achieved is blasphemy. It's self-mutilation to an extraordinary degree, because I know where all these things came from. [...] Why would I ever want that to go away? Why would I take it away? It's mine! It's my medal. It's a roadmap of where you've been; it's great.


And Frances is simply great. And so is Bust. So what are you waiting for? Go pick up a copy already!

No comments: